Since 2013, CalMutuals has aggressively pursued legislation that helps mutual water companies while opposing any bills that would harm our members. We achieved a major milestone in 2015-2016 with legislation that authorized creation of a Joint Powers Insurance Authority with risk-pooling and less expensive insurance for our members.
Below is a list with some of our major successes:
- Lobbied for successful passage of AB 656 (C. Garcia), allowing the formation of the California Association of Mutual Water Companies Joint Powers Insurance Authority beginning January 2016
- Successfully lobbied for changes to AB 1077 (Holden) in 2015 which would have required mutual water companies to telecast or webcast all meetings
- Supported provisions in legislation (SB13) that allows mutual water companies to participate in governance of Groundwater Sustainability Agencies and Joint Powers Agreements
- Enhanced protections against service duplication once threatened by AB 2443 (Nestande) authored in 2014
- Successfully lobbied to ensure mutual water companies are eligible applicants for water bond funding under Proposition 1
- Helped to raise awareness of small system needs which included $700 billion for drought emergency funds
- Assisted members with recovering over $1 million dollars in property tax rebates.
- Increased membership by more than double in less than a year
To review legislation we’re working on this year, click here.