The new $15 billion in federal funding for lead service line replacements, as vital and historic as it is, is dwarfed by the estimated $47 billion need to address this public health crisis, one that affects primarily the most vulnerable and needy among us, often people of color. It is possible for local water leaders to close this funding gap. WaterNow Alliance and Environmental Policy Innovation Center will host a 1-hour virtual webinar for utility and community leaders nationwide on how they can access capital markets to maximize access to federal funding and accelerate the rate of lead line replacements on private property.
The webinar has 5 objectives:
1. Highlight the One Water and multiple community benefits of replacing lead service lines, particularly on private properties where they are the most prevalent and most likely to be harming disadvantaged households and communities of color.
2. Feature perspectives from capital market investors about their interest in investing in lead service line replacement programs as a sound investment and to accelerate these needed replacements and protect public health.
3. Equip participants with the knowledge of how to leverage local financing approaches to maximize access to federal dollars and accelerate the pace of replacements.
4. Feature a real-world case study from communities and utilities replacing lead service lines at a faster pace than most.
5. Answer questions about how to leverage capital markets for lead service line replacements.